Quinten Miller wrote:

> Howdy Guys
>
> I've been using OpenOffice for the last year and have been very impressed
> with what I've seen. Finally an alternative that rivals MS Office in power,
> functionality and stability.
>
> Through my daily use I have thought that it would be handy to have tabbed
> documents, similar to Mozilla FireFox. Sometimes I may be editing up to
> documents at once, they are all related but are contained in separate files.
> If these could be grouped in one OpenOffice instance with tabs it would be
> much easier to navigate.
>
> Once again thanks heaps for a great product.

We already have a simple demo component that can be installed as an
extension(!) and will give you tabs in OOo (needs at least OOo2.1 IIRC).

It is on its way to become an SDK programing example. Currently I'm not
sure if it is already part of the 2.2 SDK but I can check this next week.

But please consider this as a demo only. It contains some bugs and does
not tackle all the unresolved UI issues, e.g.

- should we have more than one task window
- should we have separate windows for each application
- where should we put the docked windows (inside/outside)
- should be put the tab bar at the bottom or the top
- how do the new tabs mix with the already existing ones in Calc and Impress

etc. etc.

The biggest drawback of the demo is that you can't see more than one
document window at a time. IMHO tabs without the option to have a split
screen showing at least two tabs at a time are inacceptable for an
office application. Nobody needs MDI where you can have overlapping
document window but you surely need to be able to have at least 2
windows above or beneath each other (I don't think there is a use case
for having more than 2 but perhaps somebody else knows one).

The demo was mainly done to demonstrate the powerful framework API and
the powerful extension concept of OOo.

Ciao,
Mathias

Please don't reply to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".