Andrew,

I don't know if anyone replied to you with this link already:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/en/index.php

NeoOffice is a port of OpenOffice to the Mac. It's slow to load but OK once it's up and running. They've added some of the usual Mac interface stuff. The port obviates the requirement to run X11. The software may tide you over until the official Aqua port is available.

John Orr