[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Your product was recently recommended to me be a nice chap at PC
World. I had never heard of it before.  Upon looking at what it
offers I am very tempted to download it.  However, call me an old
cynic, but I keep asking people, why is the product free?  What's in
it for the producers of the product?  What am I missing?

Clearly people are working hard to promote and expand the use of this
product;  and somebody has worked hard to create a major program
which seems to rival Microsoft in its capabilities.

Yet, without knowing what the agenda of the company producing Open
Office is, I hesitate to embrace it.  Something for nothing is a rare
event which defies the laws of physics, let alone human behaviour.
I'm sure that there is a very obvious and benign reason for the
existence of this product, which is not obvious to me;  but I would
love to know what it is?  Please could some one tell me?

1) Writing and improving computer programs is fun.

1a) No, really, it is.

2) Once a program is written, distributing copies is cheap.

3) Monopolies are bad. The current Microsoft monopoly has largely made the software industry into something like American car manufacturing in the 1950's: there's never any real improvement, just rearrangement of chrome, and bigger and bigger tail fins.

--
John W. Kennedy
"Compact is becoming contract,