To whom it may concern:

  I'm writing you this e-mail after I saw on your web site that you need
someone to write a help file.  Since one of my career goals is to write about
this great technology, it follows that I volunteer for a project like this.
Although I have no prior experience writing, I have experience with deadlines
(I was a truck driver for 20 years).  The only compensation I would seek is
credit for the work I do and permission to put this work on my resume when I'm
done with my training.  Feel free to contact me about this at any time.  My
e-mail address is below.

  Sincerely,
  Joe Haffey