Peter Hyde wrote:
Yes!

Although the so called digital download is a bit unethical, but still not illegal :-)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ramon Valls AmenĂ³s" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <discuss@openoffice.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 11:27 PM
Subject: [discuss] piracy ? user sells open office for mone on ebay

hello
there is a user on ebay thats sells openoffice for money, is it legal ?

http://cgi.ebay.es/OPEN-OFFICE-2007-COMPATIBLE-WITH-MS-WORD-EXCEL-PPT_W0QQitemZ120202245069QQihZ002QQcategoryZ47103QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

bye

A Minute
       They say it takes a minute
       to find a special person,
       an Hour to  appreciate them,
       a day to love them,
       but then an entire life
       to  forget them.
       Take the time... to live and love.

Agreed, it's not ethical. If the vendor also said, "Go here to download it for free: http://www.openoffice.org/";, then I say there should be no issue what-so-ever. Silly as it sounds though - if you consider, burning, packing, shipping, and possibly running a business with receipts, accounting, etc. for 1.45 USD per disk, the vendor is arguably providing it below-cost - at best they're breaking even. Has anyone checked the cost of a disk from any of the other 100+ vendors listed on the official site? I did - all the ones I saw were more. Ah - just noticed. This is in Spanish. If the vendor is aiming for South Americans, this is even more of a freebie / public service. I have personal experience with the Internet in parts of South America (northern Brasil). Let's just say that you could send the disk via sea tortoise with stops in South Africa and India, and it would still be faster than downloading it. Ok, ok, not that bad, but maybe you get my point. Anyway - 1.45 well spent. Oh my, 1 step forward over here, 2 steps back over there: Take a look at the other software. For instance, anyone up for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2007 - only 2.99? That's either a type-o (it's 29.99 retail on a few sites) or it's the real deal in e-bay sales of pirated software.
Regards,
Andrew Vliet

--
-----