Alexandro Colorado wrote:
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 17:13:57 -0600, Tech Support <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Friends,

Hi Michael.

Thank you for the huge effort everyone has expended to get the word processor component up to the place where it is today. I can only imagine the depth of work that went into the effort. There is no way that any should belittle that work.

Remember OOo is open source and we are always open to help from anyone feeling they can provide and improve the product.

However, with that said, there seems to be a major problem with the direction that OpenOffice is taking in the further developmental stages of the product, particularly with regard to Writer.

<snip>

Having come from using the best of the best, WordPerfect, I am
<snip>
That's a highly subjective opinion, and one that is prone to start a flame war. The debate about its "valuable features" has raged in these lists for years. To make OOo work like WP would mean a *complete* re-write and re-design of the product. The two products are totally incompatible in the manner in which they treat a text document.

For instance, if one wishes to use the columns feature, although incomplete and difficult to use, that feature overrides the page layout and makes it impossible to find a way to stop using columns and go back to regular text on that page.

That is because you changed the format of the page. To insert a columnar section, do just that--insert a section. After the section, you can return to the normal page format.

To get double columns I am able to go to Format > Page and assign the number of columns I need. I am not sure what you mean by incomplete and dificult to use. I didn't find it difficult at all to either find it or get it to work. The process is pretty straight forward. Can you please tell us how is that dificult for you?

To go back you will need to know how to use Styles in OpenOffice.org.
Changing page styles won't do what the OP wants--insert a columnar section in the middle of a page.

you don't know how to use Styles in OpenOffice.org you will find it very foreing. Like any product it pays to learn how to use it. To change styles in pages regardless if its columns or page orientation you need to assign it when you insert a Page Break otherwise the styles carries on through the document.

The only way it can work in any normal usage situation is to start fresh and make sure that columns are only inserted into existing text so that at least one line exists after the columns.

Unless you change the style back.
<snip>
You may insert a multi-column portion in a page without changing the page style by using Insert->Section, and using the Columns tab on the resulting dialog. The section will behave kind of like a floating text box. Of course, you may also use Frames to place columns anywhere you want, with columns in them, and have other objects and text wrap around the frames, much like a DTP program does.

Best regards,

Michael Kitchen