On Jul 25, 2008, at 3:23 PM, Tamblyne wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 15:03:54 -0400, Dennis Sledge
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Tamblyne wrote:
I have a 500 page document with standard quotes.  I want to replace
them with custom quotes. Doing CTRL+SHIFT+F to find them all and then
manually typing a quote character is a tedious process.

There must be an easier way.  I tried to record a macro, but it kept
the "standard" quote. I tried Format > Auto-Format > Apply, but that
messed *everything* up -- though the quotes were fine!  LOL!

I'm sure there's a more efficient way to accomplish this. What is it?
Thanks!

Have you tried: CTRL-F>replace all option?
Dennis

Hi, Dennis -- Yes, that was my first line of attack.  But I still
ended up with the standard quotes.

As far as I know, there is no quick way to do this on Version 2. On Version 3, now in beta, you can do it rather more efficiently by searching for something like
  ([^a-zA-Z])"
with Regular Expression turned on, and then Replacing it with
  $1“
doing it one at a time, and then searching for
and Replacing it with
  ”$1

After that, search for the remaining " characters and fix them manually.

Then, of course, you would have to search for apostrophes and left and right single quotes in a similar process.

Version 3's Regular Expression support is better than Version 2's, though it is still rather backward compared to the support that has been around for yonks.

--
John W Kennedy
"Never try to take over the international economy based on a radical feminist agenda if you're not sure your leader isn't a transvestite."