> Again, the take away for me was that:
>
> * producer not consumer is key
> * making producers is hard and entails both informing the user and also
> going half-way, with information, tools, outreach
>
> If we do not have more producers, then OOo--and every Foss project--ceases
> being sustained and Foss becomes just freeware. Impressing this fact upon
> the governments adopting OOo, whether in Europe or Vietnam or Cambodia or
> Malaysia or Indonesia or Latin America or South Africa is paramount, as is
> providing the path for production.
>
> OOo has a brilliant future, all the more so given the dark economic times
> closing around us. But its brilliance depends on the concerted efforts on
> those users who become producers.
>
> -louis

I agree but we also need to be responsible and take the blame. OOo has
been famous for being not well organized when talking to potential
developers. Many patches are rejected or just not taking enough care

Finally the code is not modular enough to be able to contribute.
Simple example is the localization, is hard to evaluate the
localization without knowing how to build the project. I understand
the reasons why this is not possible, but it's also factor that works
against these porpouse.

Things might change with the education.openoffice.org project and how
we can push this initiative to a new level of visibility in the
project.

We need to have an open mentorship project that is easy for new
comming developers get in touch with developer leads and work with
them on their agenda.

OOo should give more credit to current developers, Having that Ohloh
system we could learn what developers do at the moment and what are
the main interests. OOoCon usually give me a lot of information,
however this shouldn't be.

Having virtual talks on webcasts is primarily something that we need
more often.

We had embrace IRC, but also having conference calls could work even
better, specially for brainstorming and working tighter.