Hi,

first of all i want to make clear that i don't want to be the person who blocks any new project. But i want to raise a little bit more awareness and that we should analyze the project ideas a little bit more before we accept it. The potential, the outlook and further plans etc.

OOmouse wrote:
Dear OpenOffice.org Community

First, I would like to apologize for any annoyance, irritation, or embarrassment the recent media attention to the "OpenOfficeMouse" has caused. It was never my intention to mislead anyone or imply that the OpenOffice.org Community was producing hardware. In the game industry, from which I hail, it is quite common for mice to be branded with specific game software, so it simply never occurred to me that any such confusion was possible. Second, I would like to express my appreciation for the professional and sensitive way in which John McCreesh, Florian Effenberger, and especially Louis Suarez-Potts, dealt with what could have easily been an unpleasant problem and quickly defused it in a positive and effective manner. Third, I would like to ask for your support for establishing the "OpenOfficeMouse" Software Project as an OpenOffice.org Incubator project.

If the software was nothing more than a basic mouse utility, I would not make this request. Juergen Schmidt is correct in concluding that a piece of hardware with flexible configuration options is of very little utility to the project. However, I suggest that the *software* we have written to allow for maximum flexibility in customizing the mouse buttons should not necessarily be dismissed as a mere marketing strategy, because its keybinding capabilities can be readily put to use in a wide variety of input devices that are not limited to mice, let alone our mouse. For example, it could be combined with voice recognition software to permit the same flexible configuration options enjoyed by the mouse users to people who cannot use mice or keyboards due to physical handicaps. Alternatively, it should not be difficult to modify it in order to attach sounds to specific OpenOffice.org functions for those who cannot see the screen since we already have built-in sound alerts that are triggered by switches between one profile and another.

All the things you have described here are probably correct and of course useful. But i still don't see any specifics for OpenOffice.org. Everything you have described is valid for any application and if you want to make it open source feel free to create a SourceForge or Google Code project. I am still not convinced.

Juergen

Furthermore, the high level of interest we have seen from people volunteering to produce a variety of application-specific profiles, many of which were proposed for applications we had never heard of, suggests that such a *software* project might have the potential of expanding into a trans-application, device-agnostic interface under the aegis of OpenOffice.org.
Thank you,
Theo aka OOmouse