Paul wrote:
On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Barbara Duprey <b...@onr.com> wrote:

It would be great if Paul (or another moderator, if any) could be directly
asked to force-unsubscribe somebody, like "Michael Considine" (
mlconsid...@yahoo.com), who is bombing the users list with demands to be
unsubscribed. He's been given full and explicit directions on how to do
this, as well as at least one offer to help him off-list, but he's just
staying around and sometimes "responding" to every message he gets. (I
suspect that this is a troll, or perhaps a bot that runs periodically.)
There are others who seem to try but for some reason just can't complete the
unsubscribe -- maybe because the list messages are being passed through from
another account, but the confirmation message is not. The unsubscribing
would have to be forced to the extent that no further action (like
unsubscribe confirmation) is required from the user, and I don't know if
moderators have this capability.

What do you think? Would this be feasible? I wouldn't want to abuse any
moderators, they're doing a real service and it's not given much
appreciation. What I'm thinking is that somebody on the list could supply a
relevant message (by forwarding, or if that's too "forge-able" by supplying
its reference number) directly to the moderator.

I've, in the past, asked for these rights (it not the default 'set' of
abilities given to moderators) so will advise if something comes of it.

I've very recently sent blank emails to the following address which should
mean that the troll only has to hit reply to unsubscribe (but even that may
be a little too hard):

Maybe others could also send similar messages (or some form of auto-respond)
to 'encourage' the troll to take some action.

/paul

This sends an unsubscribe confirmation message to the user, who then needs to reply. It may work, if they (1) get the message and (2) follow the directions (which can sometimes be more complicated than simply hitting Reply). But I hope you can convince the Council to give you the true forcing capability. Thanks for trying!

I've been collecting the results of a bunch of testing on the commands, such as the [listname]-thread command that could potentially be used to let unsubscribed posters follow their own threads without needing to be cc'ed by all the responders. I'm also trying to track down some of the people who seem to have been subscribed without going through the usual process. I'll post whatever I come up with here for discussion.