I was wondering about the desirability of a possible extension to formatting/styles.

I am a programmer / software architect now, but in a "former life" (ages ago) I worked as the sysadmin at a commercial typesetting house (probably a nearly-dead breed by now). There I was in charge of all of the varied computer systems - and of doing translations between several mutually-exclusive typesetting systems (I suspected mutually hostile) like cg, linotype, cci, penta, magna, zix and a few others.

Almost all of them had a couple of "format" features which I think might be rather useful. I'll give a couple of examples here:

1. A "delay" or "at location" feature existed which basically said start with such-and-such format (font, size, paragraph params, etc.), and at this point (usually specified in terms of page position, number of lines down, or inches/picas/mm/etc. down from paragraph start) change the format to do something else automatically. (A simple example: start with a line length of, say 6". Every 3 lines, decrease the line length by 0.5" until it reaches a width of 3", and then stay at that length - all in a single paragraph).

2. Automatic text - or file - insertion was also possible in many of these systems as the "automatic text" could be entered as part of the format (style) command itself, _or_ it could be entered once in the document and automatically copied and duplicated elsewhere in the document when the format was found in the doc. This was extremely useful for boilerplate among other things, as if the "boilerplate" was in a separate file, it made it possible to create a large number of docs (contracts and font display pages come to mind) so that the appropriate text could be entered once and included in hundreds of of documents. And if the boilerplate changed, one only had to print out new copies of the docs including it to have the newest version with the changes included. (a real time saver when there are hundreds of docs).

I suspect that these might be possible by including some type of macro capability as a part of a style, but I haven't figured out how design/code either of these yet at all. The second one might be the more useful, so I would like to look at it first.

But before I go off and start trying to work on either of these (a) does anyone else think that they might be useful in general (or are they too much "out in left field" for most users), and/or (b) is anyone else already working on something akin to either of them?

Thanks
- Bill --
william w. austin                               waus...@speakeasy.net
"life is just another phase i'm going through. this time, anyway ..."