2010/4/22 jonathon <jonathon.bl...@gmail.com>:

> Carl Shewmaker wrote:
>>  Gotta be an easy way.  Any help appreciated.
>
> a) Quick and dirty: record a macro of the degree sign. Assign it to a
> function key, then hit the function key every time you want to use the
> macro;
>
> b) Map a glyph on your keyboard to the degree sign;
>

> jonathon

Since the unicode for the ° seems to be b0 (hex) and since the op
seems to use Ubuntu, I think the easiest thing to do is either to do
the Ctrl+Shift+u b0 Enter thing, or the Compose key o o thing. The
Ctrl+Shift+u thing works out of the box, while the Compose key thing
perhaps needs you to do some easy settings, like deciding which key is
the compose key. I use Caps Lock for it, since it's a totally useless
key anyway. So in my case I press Caps Lock, release it, then press o
twice. Then the ° appears. Caps Lock o c gives a ©, Caps Lock % o
gives a ‰ and so on. To set which key is the compose key, click
[System → Preferences → Keyboard → Layouts → Layout options… →
Position for the Compose key] (or something like that – I have the
Swedish version of Ubuntu so I just translated from Swedish).

Regards

Johnny Rosenberg