Hi,

This is with reference to the earlier mail sent by me regarding the questionnaire for our research. We are doing a research study on how different projects handle bugs and whether duplicate bugs are of great annoyance to the developers. We are conducting a user evaluation study on personnels who manage bugs in different open source projects. We are working toward a conference deadline which is on Aug 20 midnight PST (Friday) and we would really appreciate your opinion on the following questionnaire as soon as possible (preferably by Wednesday Aug 18 midnight PST) as it would add more value to our findings.

Thanks.

Nitin
HCI Research Group
Oregon State University

The questionnaire won't take more than 10 minutes of your time. Kindly provide your answers beneath each question. Please remember to fill in your name, project you are working in and your position in that open source project.

Questionnaire
-------------
Your name:
Open Source project name:
Your position in that project:

1. How many duplicates do you find per week (think of last week)?

2. On a scale from 1 to 10 (1 being completely detrimental and 10 being completely beneficial), how do duplicate bugs affect your work?

3. How do you identify duplicate bugs? (based on the description, comments, title, testing it?) Does your project provide any automated techniques to deal with duplicates? If it does, could you please give an outline about that?

4. Do duplicate bugs make your job any harder? Why or why not?

5. What would help you fix bugs more efficiently (features, new software, different information in bug reports, etc.)?

6. Is there someone on your project who is "in charge" of deciding who gets assigned a specific bug? If so, who is that person? If not, how do bugs get assigned?

7. How many bugs does the project receive per day? Per week? (think of last week)

8. How many bugs do you get assigned to personally per week? (think of last week)

9. Who is in charge of closing / verifying bugs? Is it one person, a group of people, or each individual? (maybe combine this with question 6?)

10. What is the most beneficial piece of information in bug reports for you? What is the least beneficial thing?