At the moment i`m using windows XP and MS office, installed is OO 3.2.1 . I
want to share a general experience concerning base ( As addicted database
user I refer from storing information in spreadsheets.)

As far as I can judge the functionality of writer and calc is similar (or
better) then the corresponding MS programms. For base this fells behind
when compared with access. To mention the most annoying points:
1) in combo-lists there is only one column available. With identical names
it is hard to discriminate between members/clients that only differ in
address.
2) in forms the relations between the main form and sub form is via fields,
the field in the subform may not be part of an index. However, when
structuring tables and relations the subform field very often naturally
emerges as part of an index.
3) it is not possible to import / work with information stored in the CSV
format. (though i have seen a project description for this)

Are these items correct and not subject to the combination of operating
system and OO-version?
Is my impression right that base is in the tail of development, when
compared to writer, calc, impress, draw?

The incentive of my remarks is that the items 1 and 2 are a major obstacle
for me to abandon MS-office and adopt OO

Now I only switch to OO on an occasional basis, for instance when
information has to be shared with others or when receiving information in a
format not recognized by MS office.
The experience with OO is positive!  However, for the time being the
internal bulk of my applications remains unaffected.

regards

P Heijink