On 10/7/2010 8:19 PM, HORACE WILLIAMS wrote:
REQUEST BEST OPEN SOURCE ALTERNATIVES TO WINDOWS SYSTEM.

THANKS!

First, please turn off caps lock. Someone here has already suggested this is taken as the email equivalent of shouting.

Second: You should evaluate several distributions then answer the question for yourself. Someone already suggested "DistroWatch" as a place to start.

Third, you don't give enough information for us to begin to guess what might be a reasonable answer to your question.

For starters:

  1. What computer system(s) are you using? (At the least
     tell us what processor, speed, memory size you have.
     If more than one, is are they networked?)
  2. What do you use your computer(s) for? (I use mine
     primarily for email and web browsing, with some music
     playing, CD burning for the car, and a music notation
     program from time to time to further my music
     performing habit. I get away with some pretty old
     hardware.)
  3. What level of expertise do your users have? (I was an
     expert when I retired in 2004, but as I age, I get
     further and further behind the technology curve. I can
     make no claim to any expertise now.)

Here is a subjective answer that may well not fit your needs at all: Ubuntu or Kubuntu, or other Ubuntu based distribution seems to work fairly well here on hardware that is not particularly new.

Thia machine runs XP SP3. I have an old machine (AMD Athlon 1 GHz, 700 MB RAM) with Ubuntu on it. It's slow but usable.

With Warmest Regards
David Teague