hi ben!

seems that exactly this was the problem, even though we
didn't explicitly use NORMAL processing, we unnecessarily
started the daemon in in-band control mode (which is the default).

while on the first start this didn't seem to cause any problems,
after restarts, some hidden flows for ARP-handling which used the
NORMAL "port" became effective.
after starting it explicitly in --out-of-band mode, restarts
worked flawlessly.

regarding test-openflowd vs. ovs-vswitchd:
we may eventually migrate to ovs-vswitchd but this introduces
some new problems related to its configuration via a stand-alone
database.
I think it does makes sense for remote configuration of not only switch
flows but other aspects of the switch configuration (datapaths,
ordinary L2/L3 switching, etc) - on full blown servers.
We however *embed* openvswitch and would like to control the datapaths
via *our own* configuration database. also, we use openvswitch
merely as an openflow-enabled switch. integrating another
configuration database unnecessarily complicates openvswitch
setup and there are also space & memory limitations to consider.
I'm sure that many embedded system developers who would like
to integrate openvswitch have similar concerns.

Perhaps it is also possible to emulate the ovs database (JSON-RPC
interface) and perform a kind of on-the-fly schema translation
but this is also not very straight-forward and would make
us more dependant on ovsdb schema changes.

Any thoughts/ideas on that subject?

cheers,
Robin