Jesse,

We can raise the MTU of the underlying network until it reaches the maximum
value for the physical equipment, a common situation for 10+ Gbps data
center networks. For example, if the physical equipment supports a maximum
9000 MTU, we can't further increase it to account for overlay protocol
overhead. We can easily reduce the VM MTU to account for outbound traffic,
but inbound traffic assumes it can use 9000 bytes and therefore requires
PMTUD... or (grudgingly) reducing the MTU of all hosts on the physical
network... effectively moving the problem rather than solving it.

I think we need to solve this problem sooner than later to prevent the
current loathing by operators using conventional OpenStack neutron drivers
from seeping into OVN before it has a chance at success. Right now, the
ability to eliminate (often obscure) problems for any underlying network
MTU provides a huge selling point, at least for OpenStack.

Matt