To add on John's explanation on OpenStack networking-sfc API, each
> port-chain can be dynamically associated with zero, one or more flow
> classifiers. A port-chain created without association with a flow
> classifier means there is no flow going through that chain path yet. A flow
> classifier defines classification rules used to classify a traffic stream.
> The port-chain itself does not impose any restriction on the classifier.
> Actually the networking-sfc Flow classifier can be easily evolved to be a
> common flow classifier that can be used by SFC, QoS, TapaaS etc. features.

I am assuming this is the latest link on sfc
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/networking-sfc/api.html#implementation

I agree that works for typical IT applications that you guys are trying to
solve around sfc, qos, tapaas etc. The classifiers we are planning have
session level details and are driven by different set of rules, such as
subscriber info, cell location and other global policies. We need to modify
the flow based on many aspects so its not a service chain in a classical
sense. Flows are still pre-emptive & classifiers are part of infra in a
topology which also acts as policy enforcement points. We can certainly
take this discussion up in a different forum like networking-sfc or nfv
forum.

This being ovn forum, I was more focused on getting a generic logical flow
programming api defined. If we can make development efforts a common
effort, it will be good.