On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 9:12 AM, Gray, Mark D <mark.d.g...@intel.com> wrote:
> Processes (not really dealt with by the charter but worth some discussion):
> * I think the following would improve transparency, I don't know if this
> should be in the charter, but I think it would be good to address:
>      a. A more open roadmap to avoid duplication, encourage collaboration and
> avoid disappointment when a lot of work has been put into something that
> doesn't get a lot of support from the community. I really liked the way OVN
> started, Ben circulated some development documents which gave everyone a good
> idea of what was going on before code was written and an opportunity to help
> out or comment on. You could take this to the extreme and do something like
> blueprints in Openstack (but this is probably a too heavyweight?)
>      b: When the TSC members meet, it would be good that it was documented
> and shared so we can understand the decision making process for the technical
> direction.
>
> Voting:
> * The charter states that "While it is the goal of OVS to operate as a
> consensus based community, if any TSC decision requires a vote to move
> forward, the Committers shall vote on a one vote per Committer basis."
>    Due to b) above, the distribution of the TSC inevitably weighted towards
> the Nicira team which effectively gives veto to one group. I believe this is
> something we should as a community attempt to change. This is obviously not
> going to happen immediately but if we put the right processes in place, it
> should make it easier. One example may be to limit the number of votes
> allocated to one group? Maybe there are other suggestions?
>
> * There doesn't seem to be a process to propose a committer unless you are a
> committer. Maybe this could change?

I think one thing that might be useful for context is that the
committers as a group (soon to be TSC) have never discussed or voted
on anything other than administrative matters - meaning things like
electing new committers and now this transition to the Linux
Foundation. There aren't any meetings where roadmaps are planned or
otherwise decide on anything related to technical direction - all of
that would take place on the public mailing list. In that light,
anyone can send out proposals for roadmaps, etc. to the mailing list
in the same way that anyone can submit patches. (And there actually
isn't much advantage to being a committer - a committer better not be
applying patches that haven't been reviewed or aren't supported by the
community.)