On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 2:23 PM, Daniel Levy <dl...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> When synching from a database that doesn't exist, the entire database will
> wipe. This is obviously very bad, because synching is typically used to
> handle scenarios where a service is unreachable.
>
> Actions:
> 1. Start ovn-central via 'service ovn-central start'
> 2. Add an item to the database via 'ovn-nbctl ls-add'
> 3. Start synching by the running the synch commands below. Make sure the
> IP/PORT combination you choose does NOT point to an ovsdb instance.
> ovs-appctl -t /var/run/openvswitch/ovnnb_db.ctl
> ovsdb-server/set-remote-ovsdb-server tcp:{IP}:{PORT}
> ovs-appctl -t /var/run/openvswitch/ovnnb_db.ctl
> ovsdb-server/connect-remote-ovsdb-server
> 4. Run 'ovn-nbctl show'
>
> Expected result:
> View the switch that was added
>
> Actual result:
> The database is empty, and the command takes longer then expected to
> return.

Is this in the context of HA for OVN? If yes, I am not sure the behavior is
unreasonable.

For active-backup HA, an OVSDB server should either be an active server or
an backup server. The backup
server should not be allowed to accept any "write" transactions. (I have
sent patches for this feature).  The
active and backup server are to be managed by a HA manager, such as
heartbeat,  In case heartbeat misconfigures the backup server. I am not
sure if retaining older database will help that much, although it
is defiantly implementable.

Do you another use case in mind?