Hi Tony,

There is work currently being done for 802.1ad. Active discussions are
on the dev list.

Userspace support:
    http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/dev/2016-July/074337.html
    http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/dev/2016-August/077136.html

Dataplane tests:
    http://openvswitch.org/pipermail/dev/2016-August/077014.html

There is also kernel support in the works, but no recent series has been
posted. It needs changes to support the 802.1ad feature flag referenced
in the threads above. But if there is interest I can post a RFC version
to the dev list.

Eric.

>Hi all
>
>"OVS does not support QinQ, because no one has implemented it." (Ben
>Pfaff, Jun/2016).
>
>I have the first hints of a requirement to support QinQ, so I would
>like to implement it. But I have a bunch of questions first:
>
>- What has happened to previous attempts to implement QinQ? I have
>seen various patches in the mailing lists. Are these still active? Do
>they have some merit?

They have resumed again and are based on Thomas F Herbert's original
work. See links above.

>- Is the issue quite complicated? I see references to ovsdb
>configuration items and the need to support a stack of VLAN tags - all
>sounds fairly complicated, but what would be the simplest
>implementation we could deliver?
>
>- Where do the standards sit wrt this feature? Would it be possible in
>v1.3 or would we be looking at adding support to a later version? (I
>know, I should be reading the standards myself, and I'll get onto that
>soon).
>
>- Are there any like-minded souls out there who would like to pick up
>this work and collaborate on it? More to the point, are there people
>out there actively developing this feature already? Can I help?

Yup. See the dev list and links above.
Help testing and reviewing the existing patch sets would be fantastic.

>- What would my next steps be? My inclination would be to read the
>standards, think about a few use cases, then draft requirements and
>test cases, then start thinking about how to implement. Would this
>work? Should I publish a discussion document to this forum? Are there
>such documents already in existence?

Join the discussions, test, review, etc. The more eyes the better.

>- Having developed this feature, is it going to be able to be
>delivered into the main project?

That's the goal!