Here are the steps I use. It is important to use the IP and MAC on the bridge
that Neutron allocated for the port, as it applies antispoofing filters.

ip address del 172.16.34.5/24 dev eth1
ovs-vsctl add-br br-eth1
ovs-vsctl add-port br-eth1 eth1
cat /sys/class/net/eth1/address
fa:16:3e:ba:ec:b8
ip link set dev br-eth1 address fa:16:3e:ba:ec:b8
ip link set dev eth1 up
ip link set dev br-eth1 up
ip address add 172.16.34.5/24 dev br-eth1