Hi all!

So, last night in a last effort I discovered the root cause, to help everyone that get's this, please, guys that have grate blogs and similar share this issue.

Basically,

Environments: Virtual Machines under VMWare Desktop, Virtualbox, and inside VMs using simple bridges with or without openv-switch configs having direct access to external network through host physical interfaces.

Sympthom: using OpenV-Switch configs or only single bridges, containers or virtual machines are not able to acquire dhcp, do ping or even oder sort of communication.

Investigation for rca: used tcpdump, brctl, ovs-ofctl, ovs-vsctl, ip a s

Description: Seen that packets come from initiator into the ovs ports or bridged, but initiator that are containers/vms did not get answer back. Immediately come the idea of missing promiscuous mode. but for the host, vms, containers, promiscuous mode has been set without success. Be in mind that nnly host should need that. But then I did read Bayton little comments and found a huge important fact at http://disq.us/p/1806dgv

So basically VMWare does not set vmnet devices for common user access, and VirtualBox need some checks.. When you start a VM on Vmware Desktop, under regular user the promiscuous mode feature is not fully available, you need to do chmod g+rw /dev/vmnet*

Consider this action, "vi /etc/init/vmware", search vmwareStartVmnet, and prior to last line of this function add the command above, so you should get something like this:

# Start the virtual ethernet kernel service
vmwareStartVmnet() {
   vmwareLoadModule $vnet
   "$BINDIR"/vmware-networks --start >> $VNETLIB_LOG 2>&1
   chmod g+rw /dev/vmnet*
}

around line 155 to 160. To apply restart vmware service or bigger do reboot your host.

And all comes to roll, and you are finally able to play well with bridges between your vms and your real lan.

My best regards!
Tomás aka Sarraceno