Ruven,

>As former academic and current industrial developer, I suspect that the opportunities
>for academic/industrial collaboration are very
>large, even for topics relevant to professional programmers and software engineers.
>The

I agree whole heartedly.

> key or trick is recognize the impact on the
>industrial organization of the selected research methodology and ensure, if possible,
>that the research has some direct, immediate benefit
>to the industrial organization.

There are many ways the pie might be sliced.

However, we seem to have drifted off my original comment relating to
the use of students as subjects in SE studies that claim to be of
relevance to industry (obviously using students as subjects in studies
relating to education is appropriate).

I have encountered academics who believe that students do have the
necessary expertise (these need to be educated) and also those that
appreciate the difference but cannot be bothered to invest their
time in doing it properly (these need to be showered with derision).

derek

--
Derek M Jones                                           tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]