Russel,

As part of a larger user-study for my thesis, I compared the two configurations of unless that you list. I found that users were significantly more accurate with the first form, where unless is at the end of the control structure. Please see hypothesis 3 in this paper:

J.F. Pane and B.A. Myers, "Tabular and Textual Methods for Selecting Objects from a Group," Proceedings of VL 2000: IEEE International Symposium on Visual Languages, Seattle, WA: IEEE Computer Society, September 10-13 2000, pp. 157-164.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~pane/VL2000.html

John