> Note that no external configuration file is needed. If you want to
> customize the mapping between file extensions and metadata (media
> type, language or encoding), you can use the Application's
> "localService" property.

Updated in the latest tutorial version, it's is "metadataService" now.

> which implies that it is looking for a file called index (no
> extension).
>
> How to change this such that I get either a directory listing
> or index.html (or variants) by default please?
> Or how to specify an explicit file

The Directory Handler disables the content negotiation by default which
causes this problem. I will restored the previous behavior in beta 21. For
now, please use:

         public Restlet createRoot()
         {
            Directory directory = new Directory(getContext(), ROOT_URI);
                directory.setNegotiateContent(true);
                return directory;
         }

Also, you can change the default name via "metadataService.indexName"
property.

Best regards,
Jerome