Hi Jim,

I recommend having a closer look at this part of the tutorial:
http://www.restlet.org/documentation/1.0/tutorial#part12

It explains the usage of the Resource.getVariants() method to register
Representations with Resources. The content negotiation is automatically
handled by the framework in the Resource class. You can also manually use it
via the Resource.getPreferredRepresentation() method.

Best regards,
Jerome