Stanczak Group <justin <at> stanczakgroup.com> writes:

> Good point. So far everything I've made uses Swing clients, so I haven't
> really thought about the limitations of using cookies. I would have to
> agree on the use of session. They shouldn't be included in Restlets. I
> was always weary of using sessions in Servlets. Seemed like a lot of
> people didn't mind just dropping anything in there, and most probably
> just let whatever framework they use handle it.

The sessions we are talking about are not real sessions. Real sessions are not
possible with current Web protocols. We can talk only about session surrogates.
 Because of this, when I hear cookies I am thinking "sessions" - support for
cookies is already support for those faked sessions. And of course this is not
the only way to fake sessions (but most popular).

The problem is that, most likely, home-grown-cookies-based-sessions will be
really bad - there is one big problem that strangely missing in this discussion.
Security. Yes, there are problems with scalability, memory management - but
these, as strange as it may sound, are not immediate problems. The security is.

My position on this issue though comes not from technical considerations but
rather from business ones. As this point the lack of any *good* support for what
is called HTTP session will be very damaging for the Restlet framework. I cannot
predict to what extent it can damage this baby, but it will be very damaging.
This purism in its belief in what is right and what is not usually does not end
up in great successes. This reminds me of the "prohibition" experiments in
America. Guess what, if you think you can prohibit alcohol by changing
constitution (because it's bad and people sometimes DUIs) - people are not going
to listen to you even if it's in the constitution.

Same way, arguments about HTTP sessions that are bad because people put there
stuff that should never be there are just out of place and time.  The devil is
there, the rest (I like this game of words!) cannot ignore its existence. What
will happen is that the actual experience will put the REST (and Restful
framework) into perspective - the market will decide through its systems of
opportunity costs whether it wants it or not. I would also like to point out
that software engineers and Web developers will not be the only judges. You will
also have project managers and security folks and, at the end, users.

Serge