Adam,

My rant about load balancing and cookies was intended
to be a point in the case against session state on the
server. I just got carried away, and din't get my
point across very well :-)

I've never used Terracotta, but have heard of one
project using it, and they're quite happy with it.

Probably about time to kill off this thread now?

Kyrre
--- Adam Taft <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You should check out Terracotta.
> http://www.terracotta.org/  It does
> shared cross-JVM memory management pretty
> seamlessly.  It's open source.
>
> Being the good REST programmer that I am :), I don't
> keep session state
> on the server.  But, if I had to do it, they have a
> really slick way to
> manage shared memory across JVMs.  I saw a demo of
> their stuff at a JUG
> meeting once.  They demoed a shared Swing
> TableModel.  Very interesting
> and exciting stuff.
>
> Adam
>

> Kyrre Kristiansen wrote:
> > Yes, you are right.
> >
> > You really have two options for this,
> >
> > 1. Use the database. This might not be a good
> solution
> > for short-length, time-based session data.
> > 2. Use some sort of cluster-sharing, eg memcached
> > (which is C++, but I believe there's a
> Java-version
> > for it as well), or other solutions.
> >
> > 3. Don't share sessions in the cluster, which
> means
> > that you have to route the same client to the same
> > server throughtout the session. This is usually
> done
> > by cookies from the load-balancer (yet more
> cookies).
> >
> > There's a second way to make sure that the same
> > requests come to the same server, but it's based
> on
> > IP. Most large cooperations use NAT-style routing
> out,
> > so that the load-balancer will only see one IP for
> up
> > to thousands of users, which will give uneven load
> on
> > the servers. Avoid this balancing scheme like the
> > plague.
> >

> > Regards,
> > Kyrre
> > --- Marc Portier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> if
> services,
> >> load
> >>>
> >> Kyrre, thx for pointing me to this,
> >>
> >> I read this as the intrinsic point that
> >> 'resource-state' should be
> >> shared in the server-cluster in some way...
> >>

> >> Anyway, thx all for your comments on the thread,
> >> sorry for not finding
> >> the time earlier to participate after starting
> it...
> >>
> >> have to give it some time to sip through, now...
> >>

> >> regards,
> >> -marc=

> > Kyrre Kristiansen

> > Want ideas for reducing your carbon footprint?
> Visit Yahoo! For Good

http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/environment.html

Kyrre Kristiansen

now.