Hi John,

> Using the Restlet API, can an application handle an Exception that
> propagates out of the Jakarta Commons HTTP client software?
> It doesn't
> propagate out of the Restlet API, and I haven't found a way
> to get it from
> the Restlet objects.  I hope you can tell me where to look.

The exceptions are converted into custom statuses. See the
Status.CONNECTOR_ERROR_* constants.

> An exception is often more useful than a Status.  The
> exception has a stack
> trace and perhaps a chain of causes (nested exceptions),
> which often clarify
> what happened.

You still have the original exception logged by the connector. Just
configure the JDK's logging properties to see them (WARNING level).

> There was a previous discussion of this:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.restlet/2217
> I would suggest a different approach; that is to contain the
> Exception
> somewhere within the Response, perhaps as an attribute.  For
> example, an
> application might choose to propagate the exception thus:
>
> throw (Exception)
> response.getAttributes().get("org.restlet.status.exception");

That's a possibility but that would make your code dependent on a specific
HTTP client connector.

Best regards,
Jerome