You want Component's plumbing for any server code, in a servlet container or
not.  A default Component will be transparently supplied by the
ServerServlet.

You'll also want to use the Application as a place to set up the handling of
your RESTful requests.  Restlet 1.1 (trunk) has handy initialization
parameters for specifying a custom Component and Application class to use
with your Servlet.  I'm not sure whether the custom Component facility
existed in 1.0 -- check the Javadoc for the version you're using.

The main method is not used when binding the Component to a servlet, but at
our shop we typically use the same Component classes both for standalone and
servlet container use -- so we have the main() method there for standalone
invocation -- in addition to the test use case Thierry gave.