You should set the HTTP status code to an appropriate value, in the
400 or 500 range, via getResponse().setStatus().  See
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html#sec10.  For
your example, 401 Bad Request would be appropriate.

You can also return a representation that may return additional
context information about the error, but there are no REST standards
for this; the status code itself should be enough for the client to
intelligently interpret.  In Resource.put(), you'd return a
Representation object after you set the response status code.

.. Adam