HTTP/1.1 (http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec9.html) and httpbis
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-httpbis-p2-semantics-04.txt)
allow and even recommend this use of OPTIONS, although the HTTP spec
intentionally does not specify any request or response entity values.  I use
OPTIONS quite a bit for such exchanges in my own code.
I think an interesting Restlet 1.2 feature would be some kind of a Resource
helper that supplied some information about the Representations accepted and
emitted.  This could be keyed to a specific variant in the OPTIONS request,
like the text/uri-list variant emitted by Directory (which I also get a lot
of use out of).

- Rob