If you mean the Net connector in Restlet 1.1 (which does not depend on
any robust external HTTP connector), this is indeed only appropriate
for development or lightly loaded scenarios.  We use it for some
production embedded applications, for example, some software that runs
as a service and needs to trivially receive and emit HTTP requests for
the local web server.  But it does not compete with the capacity of
the other connectors.

We do use Restlet in "standalone mode" in many production
applications, including our most heavily loaded multi-site client web
servers.  In terms of number of requests and sheer data volume, these
are VERY active production services.  However, by "standalone mode"
here we mean not using the Net adapter, but rather using one of the
other embedded connectors.  Jetty is our favorite, as it is both
lightweight and robust, and its NIO support is very good.  Grizzly is
looking promising for the future.

As Stephan mentioned ... here we are deploying applications designed
completely around the REST paradigm, the server does not keep any
session state for the client.  Clients are responsible for keeping
their own state and transferring the relevant bits of it to the server
when a request is made.  This is an intentional design decision.  We
do set cookies for unique browser identification purposes, mainly for
logging anonymous access.

Intelligent clients are a great help in making this design work well
(Java, AJAX, GWT, Flex/RIA, etc.).  Much of the Servlet model, and the
frameworks stacked upon it, consists of ingenious workarounds to make
a web server capable of producing and managing all tiers of an
application, given a very "dumb" HTML-and-forms based user agent on
the other end of the HTTP connection.  Unfortunately, this is hard on
the server, decentralizes little of the computing load, and makes
fielding a production web service much more expensive than it ought to
be.

- Rob