For what it's worth...

For production use, I've come to the point where I do *NOT* like implementing SSL solutions directly in Java. The extra overhead, hassles, etc. just aren't worth it in general. For example, for both Krugle and MarkMail, we have SSL (ala HTTPS) handled directly by the load-balancers and everybody behind them is blissfully unaware and this makes the management of all of the backend servers much much cleaner, easier, faster, etc.

Of course, if you're doing really sensitive stuff and need finer granularity (medical, financial, etc.) then you're stuck and need to do that but in those cases you're already stuck dealing with a lot of threats that you can't take for granted anyways so the Java-specific hassles aren't such a big issue. [But I shall refrain from going off on my tirade about big complicated SSL installations that then talk to an unencrypted database over an unencrypted connection.] :-)

Hope this helps,
John