Excellent summary, Stephen!  Requiring a descriptor (in any format) to find
a service URI often just moves the problem -- making the next question "what
is the best URI to publish the descriptor?"
Still, it's needful to describe REST APIs, and this often seems unreasonably
hard to do.  For me, anyway.

Someday I'd like to attack a Restlet-specific application descriptor
mechanism that is both machine and human readable ... sort of an extended
Javadoc for Restlet ... I think the Resource refactoring might be one key to
doing this.  Ideally the descriptor would work two ways -- you could export
it from a Restlet server application, and then feed it to a code generator
to make a Restlet client skeleton.  We'd also need some way of interrogating
the "plumbing" of an application -- what patterns reach what targets.
 Anyway, fun to think about.

- Rob

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Stephen Groucutt <stephen.grouc...@gmail.com

http://restlet.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4447&dsMessageId=1522571