On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 14:58,  <webp...@tigris.org> wrote:

> I am evaluating Restlet 2.0 vs. Spring 3.0 for a new project that is starting
> soon. I have done a lot of reading on the website and have written a couple
> of small programs with Restlet 2.0M6 to get the feel for it. I am looking to
> hear from people who have been using it into production about their
> configuration choices.

We're running 1.1, but my answers might still be helpful. We have 5
complex apps in production.

> 1) What connector are you using with Restlet in production?

We've been using the Jetty connector for a few years now, and we're
very happy with it.

> I very much like the idea of not having to run inside of a web container, but
> I am not sure from the list of available connectors which are the best for
> production, and what are the pros and con's of each connector. Any advice
> from the community on this is appreciated.

We run our apps as standalone apps — no servlet container — and I'm
very happy with this approach. We use the Tanuki Service Wrapper to
run them as Windows services.

> 2) How are you dealing with Caching on the server side?

Mostly Memcache, some OSCache. I prefer Memcache, and after trying out
EHCache, I think it's better than OSCache.

> 3)  Are you finding that the Services / Data Access Layers in Standard Web
> Apps don’t apply in the Restlet World?

I didn't have a lot of experience with Java web development before I
started using Restlet, so I'm not sure what a "Service" is in a
"Standard" web app. But I have used a Data Access Object in one of my
Restlet apps, and that's worked out just fine.

> Given that we are exposing resources and no longer exposing services and
> functionality, do you find that the need for Data Access Objects is gone? As
> i think about what the app will do, I keep noticing that it is easier to put
> the data access for a resource into the Restlet instead of making a Data
> Access Object. After all PUT, POST, and DELETE will do something to the
> persistent state of the resource and GET will just query it. Thoughts about
> this from the community are highly appreciated.

This is highly specific to your application.

> 4) What does your Restlet production setup look like?

Can you elaborate? What kind of information are you looking for?

➙ Have you tried Kindling‽ http://kindlingapp.com

http://restlet.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4447&dsMessageId=2424007