I've been looking into this since my initial post and want to add a couple of
thoughts to clarify my intention here. I found the LogService Restlet class
which looks very robust but I need to customize some of the logging here for
auditing and compliance purposes (i.e. identify the user based on querying a
session server using a token) so I think I'm looking at something homegrown.
But again, I'd like to implement some way to sort of "copy" the request on the
way in and "copy" the response on the way out, parse through those copies
(perhaps in another thread) to break them out cleanly into a database.

http://restlet.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4447&dsMessageId=2716636