Till I figure out role stuff, I'm doing it myself, without relying on
Restlet APIs.

I have a base ServerResource class performing the security checks
against storage (JCR in my case, but the concept is the same,
applicable to any storage backend: DB, files, whatever), and all
guarded resources extend that base resource.

If "instance-specific" means per-request, that is automatically
handled by Restlet's ServerResource classes: one instance is created
to serve each request.

Hope this helps.

--
Fabián Mandelbaum