Some success - at least when accessing a local GAE server.

#1. Replaced use of the Android Account Manager with at HttpClient call to
http://10.0.2.2:8888/_ah/login to obtain the authentication information
(dev_appserver_login="l:True:145185941422614610318"; Path=/;)

This was followed by creating a restlet cookie and putting it into the
ClientResource (which I had already been doing before):
org.restlet.data.Cookie securityCookie = new org.restlet.data.Cookie(0,
authTokenName, authToken);
commitsClient.getRequest().getCookies().clear();
commitsClient.getRequest().getCookies().add(securityCookie);

#2. When looking at the error I had always been getting (Communication Error
(1001) - The connector failed to complete communication with the server.), I
found deeper in the log "System.err(677): java.net.SocketException: Bad address
family" and I remembered reading the documentation sayig that it may be
necessary to do:
System.setProperty("java.net.preferIPv6Addresses", "false");

Then things started working locally.

Next up is figuring out how to:
a) Use the AccountManager (I need to turn the AuthToken for my account into the
right cookie)
b) Make this work with my real GAE account.

Will post back with either a solution or a white flag of surrender.

http://restlet.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4447&dsMessageId=2963883