Euh... I'm sorry but then the problem must be somewhere else.

I use @Put all the time, handling the different media types myself, and I
only got HTTP 415 when my own-written code explicitly threw
ResourceException(Status.CLIENT_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED_MEDIA_TYPE).

can you please try this on your ServerResource (or extending) class:

@Put
public void handlePut(Representation data) {
if (data == null) {
  throw new ResourceException(Status.CLIENT_ERROR_BAD_REQUEST);
} else {
   getLogger().info(String.format("Got PUT with media type %s",
data.getMediaType()));

a PUT with no data in the request body should give you HTTP 400
a PUT with some data in the request body should give you a log entry with
the request body media type.

If that still does not work try adding the following method to that class:

@Override
protected void initResource() {
  getVariants().add(MediaType.ALL); // I never had to use this, IIRC this
is */*
}

Good luck!

--