Another possible solution with such requests, which may take LONG to
process, is to have the server return HTTP 202 (Accepted) as soon as it's
ready to process the request, and the client knows its request will be
processed later.

Of course, you may also need another server resource to query the status of
such "to be processed later" requests.

HTH