Nice job on the formatting.

I think what it means is that we can't change our rules to effect something
that has already happened.

Lets say we change our policy to "We're going to sell our customers
information on 31/Oct/2013" Now we can sell any info that NEW customers
give us, but any customers that gave us info prior to 31/Oct/2013 can not
be sold.