I am down for this, then again Gentoo is my favorite Distro, so I kind of been
doing this all along.

On Wednesday, November 27, 2013 3:34 PM, Torrie Fischer
<tdfisc...@hackerbots.net> wrote:

Howdy, all.

Steve and I were discussing this a bit ago on IRC: It'd be a pretty neat idea
to have a weekly Linux From Scratch workshop going on at the space this
summer. Obviously not at the same time slot as the programming classes, but on
a different day.

If you're not familiar with Linux From Scratch, it is a book written to guide
someone through the process of building a complete linux system from scratch.
You start with a fresh blank harddrive, work out of a minimal bootstrap
environment via LiveCD, then begin building your way towards a functional
system with an option to continue towards a full graphical desktop. It
includes building all of the linux plumbing, such as:

* Formatting a filesystem
* Creating the filesystem structure
* binutils
* gcc
* glibc
* [some 30 other packages and a handful of rebuilds]
* Linux kernel

I did this myself roughly 10 years ago and learned a *lot* about how the
complete Linux operating system works. It is a massive wealth of information
and watching compilers compile code.

The prerequisites would be:

* Using a shell to type in commands

The outcomes:

* You'd be *very* familiar with the shell
* Lots of intimate knowledge of the components running just below the surface
of your shiny user interfaces
* A linux system that is entirely yours and not based on any existing
distribution. Pure vanilla.

Thoughts?