What can we sell at a silent auction ? we are a fracking maker space!!
there are tons of possiabilities for what we could sell. I  started writing
out plans for a silent auction last night after talking with Andy. This
isn't an instant solution but it is defiantly one we can do a couple months
down the road. examples of what could be sold are (these are all
hypothetical these rant actual required donations) :
- I could donate a skirt that i made ... Probably a star wars one because
people seem to love it (valued at $40)
-Beth could donate a necklace and ear ring set
-Nicole could donate one of her metal  pieces
-Matt Smallwood and Steve IV could donate a free consultation plus a coupon
for $100 of a service from Brewbeck IT services
-using the magical interwebs i could print out a few cookie cutters on the
3d printer and make a baking gift basket that probably would in the end
cost me no more then $10.
-Torrie if she so desired could donate a tiny robot or something
- G could offer a picnic and boat ride out on the lakes which would just
cost him the picnic supplies gas and a few hours out on his own boat ( my
grandmother has a pontoon and auctions the same thing off at the African
Sky silent auction every year)
-Omar could put together a laptop that has been donated that would be good
enough to play video games on it load a copy of portal on to it and put
portal related items into a basket and auction off that.
- Matt Smallwood could auction of a curry dinner for 6 at the winners house
where he goes to their house one night and prepares and serves dinner. ( my
father use to auction off a pasta dinner for the knights of Columbus every
year)
- Devin could put together a paintball basket with a $5 gift card to a
paint ball range,a small thing of amunition, a few monster and a camo hat.
( all this stuff we could probably get as a donation from location)
-we could contact local art students from U of A, Firestone and Miller
South or professional artists like PR Miller and Don Drumm and ask them to
donate works of art .
again these are just ideas not one person has to donate exactly what i said
just brainstorming ideas to get those cogs turning.

This is not an instant fundraiser it would take at least 2 months to plan
and launch. the most expensive part we face is location, food, and drink
we could have it at the space if we can hold off on loud hacking for a
night and make the space presentable.
food we can either have members make food or we can buy a frack ton of
stuff from GFS like meatballs , egg rolls, little smokies
we also need to serve booze we don't need a full bar but we need an open
bar and two nicely dressed hackers to hand out the beer and wine. I was
thinking we could go totally local and get maybe donations or discounts
from the hopping frog, the thirsty dog ,the Ohio brewing company,  and
wineries like the red horse which is in Barberton and the winery at wolf
creek also in Barberton.  The booze is key because we need attendees loose
with there money. So that if we can't get donations may be our biggest
expense
So that is my idea in a nut shell there you go
Have at it

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 5:22 AM, Andrew Buczko <a4s...@dsprototyping.com>wrote:

> Hmm, we have Devin's "GREAT STUFF" art sculpture.
>
> Omar's link gave me an idea, instead of a Walk-a-Thon we can have a
> Build-A-Thon
>
> Participants get to keep their creations, winner gets some sort of prize,
> And we get rid of the junk pile :)
>

> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 3:40 AM, Omar Rassi <omar.ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I know that techsoup.org has grantstation software that assists with
>> applying for and writing grants. But its currently one hundred bucks :(
>>
>> http://www.techsoup.org/grantstation?cg=sp
>>

>> On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 3:36 AM, Torrie Fischer <tdfisc...@hackerbots.net
>> > wrote:

>>> renovation

>>> One

>>> this
>>> meeting.

>>> * Our building is rather old
>>> * We're a non-profit
>>> * Many of us are focused on rebuilding a city recovering from poor
>>> economic
>>> times
>>> * We're an educational center
>>>
>>> Some organizations who are some of the above are often elliglble for
>>> grant
>>> money. We've proven that such an idea can actually thrive in the city,
>>> and I
>>> can't imagine we would need to work too hard to prove that we've done
>>> good
>>> things. I don't have the time to figure out the grant process though :(