Train track? locomotives?
A FELLOW FOAMER???!!!!!

HOLY DIESEL ELECTRIC, TELL ME MORE!!!!!

On 2/5/2014 18:59, Martin Pinkston wrote:
After I got home from the meeting last night, I got to thinking about a couple of things. The one being that once winter ends and decent weather start, I will be spending more time out at the train track. Because we hold public runs every other Sunday. A public run is where we give the public free rides on the trains. Some days we have 700 to 800 people come ride with us. It is open to any one who shows up and you all are welcome to come and see us.
So, along those lines, I keep thinking about some of the cool things that could be done with a RPi or Arduino or BB in conjunction with this hobby. For instance, just a simple set up to graphically represent a locomotives location on the track on a laptop and then post that info on a webpage. From there, the imagination could run wild, like controlling signal blocks and switches, and the nice thing is that once the bugs were worked out, an actual product could be packaged and easily marketed on the web or our hobby publications.
Again, this is just a thought.
I don't believe there is a huge demand for any such products, but when has that ever stopped pharmaceutical companies. They are always coming out with a pill and then generating the demand for it by marketing. Latest example, testostrone replacement theropies.
Besides, I think it would be a great learning experience in programming and might make a decent project for teaching programming.

Again, just a thought.

Take Care and Have Fun Always.

Martin