I like Becca's suggestion of consulting with others for advice.

I'd say start simple.
My version of simple - google for hackerspace curriculum or hackerspace
workshop; analyze what's already out there; pick one format, stick with it
for round1.

I'm getting tired of 'Bethany has lesson plans' frankly. If she has
something concrete, fine - that can be used if/when she shows up to share
them

But in her absence, we all can decide one simple format from an existing
hackerspace or other organization that has experience with running
workshops for younger students.

Right about now, in my mind atleast, Torrie's SparkAK talk comes to
mind - *Document,
Document, Document* - to make sure that the organizing can continue by
others.

One example I found - Sparkfun has contributed curriculum -
https://learn.sparkfun.com/resources
In which someone from GirlScouts shared their Lilypad takehomekit as well
as presentation: https://learn.sparkfun.com/resources/31
This is a very basic example. I'm sure there's plenty others out there. I
only share this as I'm not sure if entities like JoAnn etc have kids
workshops onsite at their facility, but a quick phone call to them and we
can know one way or another.

At Ingenuity last year 'make and take home' workshops were very well
received. I'm sure they are planning them again this year.

Our emphasis for the short term can be re-use existing resources, gain
experience organizing the kids activities, tweak it to improve it for next
time; potentially create new original programs for kids.

Starting simple from the get go allows us to keep improving in subsequent
programs we organize - note to future self -- kickass might be an
understatement when describing a syn/hak event for kids.

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 10:12 PM, Becca Salchak <blsalc...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think it would benefit us to talk to some people with experience with
> summer youth programs (Suzie graham who use to run Lock 3 summer arts
> experience , Wendy Duke of miller south and a few others I have in mind) .
> Take the remainder of the year to make contacts , get comfortable in our
> new space,perhaps find funding set up  open DNS incase the kids are on the
> computers , make detailed plans for the program and launch it next year.
> This would give us chances to come up with lesson plans and test them out
> on a group of volunteer kids ( children, friends and family members of
> synhakers) so we can see the lessons carried out like a tech rehearsal for
> a play . Perhaps come up with a survey to distribute to a few schools to be
> sent home with kids asking key questions like:
> 1. When in the summer would be best for your family?
> 2. What time during the day?
> 3.would you as a parent want to chaperone the program?
> 4. Under proper supervision would you be comfortable with your child using
> tools such as drills, soldering irons, computers....?
> Etc. etc.
> I requested lesson plans from Bethany on the previous thread and she did
> not respond.
>
> On Monday, February 17, 2014, a l <leit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a few outlines I had Beth put together when  we were finalizing
>> the IRS stuff in the fall but my understanding was she had all the
>> curriculum she had been working on and that there had been a few meetings
>> to further develop materials since then.
>>
>> If this is not the case or we are unable to get in touch with Beth I
>> think that baring joining up with apl or the schools it will be very hard
>> to put everything together and advertise by the summer.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Andrew L
>> On Feb 17, 2014 5:01 PM, "Becca Salchak" <blsalc...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I think that if we do not truly have a cirriculum in place we should put
>>> it off till summer of next year

>>> --
>>> Becca Salchak
>>> blsalc...@yahoo.com
>>> peace and love

> --
> Becca Salchak
> blsalc...@yahoo.com
> peace and love

G | Gaurav Narain Saxena | (330) 283 - 4972

I am a Board Member at SYN/HAK <http://www.synhak.org>: The Akron
Hackerspace located at 48 S Summit St Akron Ohio
44308<https://maps.google.com/maps?q=48+S+Summit+St+Akron+Ohio+44308>

I am providing technical consulting services to
Sherwin-Williams<http://www.sherwin-williams.com/>on behalf of Bennett
Adelson <http://www.bennettadelson.com/> (Microsoft Solution Center)
located at 6050 Oak Tree Blvd, Cleveland, Ohio
44131<https://maps.google.com/maps?q=6050+Oak+Tree+Blvd,+Cleveland,+Ohio+44131>
I have also been providing solutions to non-trivial problems other
businesses may have through my company Whiskey Bits LLC located in Portage
Lakes, Ohio
Learn more about things I have created by reading my About
page<http://gsvolt.wordpress.com/about-2/>on my
blog <http://gsvolt.wordpress.com/>