On Monday, March 03, 2014 12:31:51 Justin Herman wrote:
> My question is why no other options viable for hosting?

It isn't just about hosting our website.

SYNHAK.org is a playground for people who want to build a hackerspace's online
infrastructure. If you're against that, I'd be happy to ramp up my efforts to
protect our culture of exploration and inventiveness that supports the hacker
community.

> Why MUST we use AWS? Why do we need 99.99 availability for 6 servers? Why
> could we not hybrid the design (like Craig said) and use some local hosting
> and some AWS?

I'll produce a report that shows why AWS is the best option for fulfilling our
goals. Hint: 99.99% availability isn't the primary reason.

> Hardware is cheap and easy to come by. Hosting our own allows us to have a
> TON more CPU and RAM and storage. It something like spiff/wiki/fileserver
> due to hardware failure, upgrade needs, network connection... we could
> always but a static page for our contact info so it doesn't seem like we
> fell off the face of the internet.

Whats your solution to physical security against someone who accidentally
fires a javelin through a server? Or flooding in the basement? Or pouring beer
on a switch?

> If we want to have a class on AWS by all means fire up a demo site. That
> has nothing to do with our production infrastructure.

Saying "production" implies that we're sometimes not flying by the seat of our
pants or actively hacking on things while they're being used.

Is this the wrong time to mention that I deleted a web server from the face of
the 'net using my phone while en route to Annabell's Saturday night to prove
that our setup is in fact incredibly fault tolerant?

> I know we all want more internet and lots of people SAY TWC is unreliable
> but I haven't seen anything saying HOW unreliable at the 48 Summit space it
> is. Are we down or frequent outages? Not getting promised service <BW>?
> Excessive packet loss? Are we taking metrics?

I'll try and find the data I produced back when they were screwing us over at
21 W. North. Essentially, we were getting maybe 20% of what we were paying
for. There also is no QOS contract. There also is nothing stopping a hacker
from ripping out the modem and leaving us without internet for a few days
while a replacement is sourced. Or even worse, city maintenance severing a
physical line underground.

> And if TWC is that bad WHY was it chosen to use them?

You're joking, right?

What other options are there? They've got a monopoly. Starting a municipal ISP
wasn't just an idea we threw out there for fun.