Andrew,
It is hand powered. Though a motor could easily be attached to it.

On the note touched upon by Omar, why don't we simply build everything we
possibly can and cut costs. The grinder could be made out of a re-purposed
meat grinder, quite possibly with some modifications to the cutter wheel
(depending upon the style and efficiency). The extruder could even be made
DIY, but the only mechanism I see as a tricky one (per my idea) is the
metal screw to carry the plastic pellets into the heating core, injection
molding style. Though I would bet Devin could give some expertise into how
to machine such a piece.

To touch on detail, I was thinking the intruder would essentially have a
hopper for the pellets. Said hopper would then feed down into a concaved
screw in a shaft, wrapped with a heater core. This shaft would carry the
pellets through, melting them to liquid, then force them into a chamber of
the appropriate dimensions where the plastic cools and hardens as a "wire".
After running through the cooling chamber, it is spooled up on an automated
spooler, turning relative to the carrier screw. Generally in the style of
the proposed Filastruder.

These steps allow for the focus to be on Torrie's proposed improvements and
allows for the 3D printer area to be improved as well. If I find some time
I can poke around Hazel St. Recycling for anything that would work for the
needs or quite possibly be lucky enough to run across injection molding
parts?

Does anyone have any thoughts or contributions to the ideas or construction?

Sincerely, Tomm Smith
God bless