On Tuesday, April 01, 2014 17:41:09 a l wrote:
> We should get a lens filter to alleviate this issue. I don't think they're
> terribly expensive

UV light doesn't kill a CCD.

It is more about the net intensity than any particular wavelength.

Welding creates a spark gap transmitter, which emits radiation in a wide range
of frequencies. There isn't any one distinct frequency, as it is essentially a
form of white noise across the EM spectrum.

Pointing the camera at the sun won't kill it. Taking every photon that hits
within the city limits of Akron and squeezing it into a densely packed and
tiny CCD will, as the absorption will produce a lot of heat.